Thursday 18 January 2018

Telescope focuser

First post for the year is a surprise blast from the past: progress on the telescopes focuser - please try to hide that rolling of eyes.

So, almost a year after throwing the first bits of the telescope together I finally got into the mood to do some serious design work on the last major element of the telescope left - the eyepiece focuser.

Up until this point my eyepieces have been held in with friction and toilet rolls which is not to stable and does not allow for fine movements of the eyepiece. With the gradual upgrade in the other system components the focuser has finally become the weakest link.

A quick google search can show all sorts of brilliant designs - most of which have been made by someone else who is trying to sell them to you. Luckily there are also scattered articles of people making their own - generally with the a high level of ingenuity that most amateur telescope makers seem to possess by default.

In particular the ingenious Crayford focuser design, while used in high end commercial models, has been constructed in all sorts of ways including from assorted wood and plumbing scraps. That sounds like something I can do - especially when I have my trusty sidekick: Mr Laser-Cutter (its a double barrelled name).

I have just finished my CAD model ready for a workshop session sometime soon, which incidentally means I have pictures:

the focuser - note that my CAD skills are limited - I have not managed to put all my parts in an assembly to make the design look completely pretty.
The top view - hopefully the holes for the two bearing holders are visible on the left hand side of the image - the pressure will be applied with a spring pushing a pusher plate against the axle (which will happen on the right hand side of the image.

The pusher plate, I have tried to reduce its contact area with the rest of the focuser while maintaining its ability to stay straight by giving it the bowing in sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment